Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got two notifications of product discontinuation(s) from MidwayUSA for Winchester small pistol primers in quantity of 5,000. (Both for the 5,000 count. I had thought one was for the 1,000 count, but was mistaken.)

In a normal world, this would usually happen only if the manufacturer had told them that the product would no longer be available.

MidwayUSA has gone into a ammo strategy of limiting sales to 200 rounds, which really goes against the concept of buying enough at a decent price to minimize the shipping costs. It could be that MidwayUSA intends only to sell primers in less than a quantity of 5,000.

Additional info:
This afternoon I got another discontinued product notification. This one for CCI small pistol primers in a quantity of 5,000.

It is possible they are getting ready for availability of primers and purging the pages of the larger quantities. It seems like they did the same thing for 9mm and .223 ammo before they got stock and limited purchase quantities.

More additional info:
A few minutes after midnight this morning, I got another discontinued product notification. This time for Federal small pistol primers in a quantity of 5,000.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have gotten in the habit of making notes on prices on my website bookmarks. I neglected to do that for the primers on MidwayUSA. I poked around the internet archive wayback machine, and found a cached page for Winchester small pistol primers from November 2020. They were priced at $44 per 1000, $195 per 5000. They have not had primers since Spring of 2020, so that would have been the past price they sold at before they ran out.

The new page after they discontinued all of the 5000 quantities, has the price changed to $75 per 1000, and shows a limit purchase quantity of one (1).

In the past, they have updated the page information shortly before a product became available. So this may indicate they expect to receive a shipment of primers sometime soon.

The page seems to indicate Hazmat and DOT restrictions. I doubt they are going to do the Gunbroker seller thing of shipping by mail and telling the postal clerk that it is a "nunya" (nunya dang business what's in the box). I expect they will have a hefty delivery fee. If anyone knows what that fee used to be, it might give a good indication what to expect if/when they get the item back in stock.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts