Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wound up buying a reloading setup from a neighbor that was no longer reloading. I'm completely new to this and am looking for any and all info I can get.

I have the Lyman 49th reloading handbook, and an older Speer reloading manual. I will mainly be reloading for my LCP, two Ruger P95's, a Ruger 45 and a Bersa thunder 380, to target shoot with.

The set came with several pistol and rifle dies, Lyman manual scale, powder measure, powder dribbler, trimming tools, extractors, brass, Thumlers tumbler, primers - large and small, molds for two lead bullets that I'm not sure what caliber, but are Lyman stamped. (The neighbor reloaded a ton of .38 and .357.)

Like I said, I am brand new to reloading but am very interested in learning how to do it properly and most importantly safely.

Here's my loading bench and parts awaiting to be setup: 2013-03-03_14-40-18_314.jpg 2013-03-03_14-40-28_671.jpg 2013-03-03_14-41-11_805.jpg

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Nice! I don't have time to post much now but I will say thats a great tumbler! You can use stainless steel media. Skip has posted great info on the other forum to get you started. Gotta go. Den

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
BB, I have an old Texan turret press that is functionally very similar to yours. I put a whole set of dies for one caliber into the turret at the same time. However, I do a single process step for all of a batch of cartridges and then do the next process step on the whole batch. This is part of my extremely rigid quality control system and it works well.

If you'd like to read my whole primer for reloading newbies, titled "An introduction to reloading ammunition", it's located in the Compact Carry Forum's Reload Bench area. Click on this link for the thread.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BB, I have an old Texan turret press that is functionally very similar to yours. I put a whole set of dies for one caliber into the turret at the same time. However, I do a single process step for all of a batch of cartridges and then do the next process step on the whole batch. This is part of my extremely rigid quality control system and it works well.

If you'd like to read my whole primer for reloading newbies, titled "An introduction to reloading ammunition", it's located in the Compact Carry Forum's Reload Bench area. Click on this link for the thread.
WOW! That's an awesome instructional log SkipD! Thank you for taking the time to write it up and submit for newbs such as myself. I need to get a good quality caliber and/or micrometer. I'm going to add a lighted 10X magnifier too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, I use the older Lymam turrent press, Bought two at a yard sale a couple years ago for $15.00. Kept one sold the other for $15.00. I also use the Lee turrent press ( $10.00 plus $8.00 for the three hole plate at a LGS in Ashland, Ky. about a month ago.)and load for the Ruger P-95 also.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't reloaded in several months, but also haven't had the time to shoot either. Picked up a couple thousand copper jacketed lead boolits for .380 rounds and have the powder, but not the time unfortunately.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same identical press as yours. Bought it new in 1968. Have used it ever since, and it is great. Wallacem in Georgia

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Lyman SparT press just like yurs. I bought it new in 1968 and still use it today. hood luck, Wallace

1 - 8 of 8 Posts