Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
You didn't miss the boat, you are one of the lucky ones! I have a Generation 1 which goes bang every time and I would not switch it out for all the tea in China! If you have an LCP that WORKS reliably, KEEP IT......the grass isn't always greener on the other side. There are a lot of well intentioned folks on here who haven't a clue about what the LCP really is about.

Let me address a few of the things you mentioned. These are points that I stress to all my defensive carry students.

Sights on an LCP are absolutely meaningless! If you are looking for your sights on a small pocket gun, your going to die! Practice point and shoot until you are totally competent from inside 5 yards......no further than 5 yards is necessary for realistic practice in situations where you would "introduce" the LCP.

Locking back after the last shot.....Big deal, it means nothing! In the real world, your not reloading a pocket pistol!!!! Don't even bother with a spare mag....if you need more than 7 shots, your in deep doo doo, and probably couldn't hit a target with a full box of ammo in any case.....time to run/seek cover.

Only folks who are poor shooters worry about the long trigger pull. A good shooter should be able to group all 7 shots inside an 8 inch circle at rapid fire with no sights at a distance of 5 yards( if you can't do that, without sights. then more practice is in order), many of my colleagues routinely are inside of 4 inches. The long trigger is your friend, makes for a safer gun. If you are training properly, you will not even notice the "long" pull. In a real life shooting scenario, you will never notice the trigger pull. This LCP is not a target gun and it is important to practice as you would respond, looking for your sights is looking to die!

· Registered
146 Posts
OK I watched the video of the Lehigh Defense 380's. Yes he seems to rate these a little higher than the Precision Ones despite a slight over penetration of one of the Lehighs.

Lehigh Defense are $26.00 for 20 ends as apposed to similar pricing on Precision One 50 rnds. A BIG difference but I'm not in the habit of going through a ton of defense 380's in a range session.

The Lehigh's may appear in my LCP. I need to do more research on-line.

How do these function in your LCP?
I use the Underwood extreme penetrator(same exact bullet as Lehigh) NON PLUS P, they function perfectly and although some folks say they are still too hot for the LCP, I do not agree. I'm a Glock armorer and I have inspected the pistol after firing these rounds with no ill effects. I do not fire a lot of rounds through my LCP, as I believe it was meant to be carried more than fired, so long as you are TOTALLY proficient with point and shoot(no sights) from 5 yards inn.....a real life practical distance for self defense.

· Registered
146 Posts
I love my LCP. It doesn’t malfunction and I can hit with it pretty well. It’s the lightest and slimmest of the LCP’s and I like the minimal sights on the gun. Higher capacity mags are available, too. The LCP II and the Max are great pistols but my original LCP works for me.
If it ain't broken......don't "fix" it! The long trigger pull is your friend!! I am not a fan of a 6 pound trigger pull in a striker fired system being carried in a pocket.

· Registered
146 Posts
Well lucky for you all the LCP pistols are hammer fired guns.
Yes they are, but the LCP ll is half cocked so to speak during carry mode. Not what I want in my pocket next to the family jewels. My department does not permit the carry of the LCP ll for that reason. Only the Original LCP (full DAO) is permitted for required off duty carry.

· Registered
146 Posts
I have an Lcp Custom I bought several years ago. It's a version that fell in between the original and Lcp II. I recently added an Mcarbo trigger spring kit and it made a huge difference. The trigger pull is still heavy enough that I'm not worried about pocket carrying or iwb with one in the chamber but way better than before installing it. I'd recommend the kit for any gen 1 Lcps too. I did reinstall the original trigger return spring because, although the new return spring worked, the original seems stouter and gives a more positive trigger reset imo.

I was considering trading it on a new Max. Mainly for the trigger and magazine capacity but after reading a few negative threads on this forum about the Max I decided to keep what I have. Mine works with any ammo I've put through it and I can live with the 6 +1 capacity.
I'm with you. Keep what you know works! If someone thinks they may need more capacity than 7 rounds, then they probably should be carrying something other than a pocket pistol imo. Also, a new pistol require a formidable investment(at least 5 boxes, 250rounds) to make sure it operates reliably. With all the LCPs being returned to Ruger, you will have to go thru that expenditure after the gun comes back for self assurance to make sure it works relably.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts