Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So I have an original. It’s worn in with the finish worn off and it shoots straight POA, POI. Never s failure of any king except it doesn’t lock back on the last rnd. ( joke ?).

As a carry gun I like it. I can dump all 7 rnds, one- handed, into a paper plate at 7 yards.

So I missed the boat or rather, was too early for the fir the boat, to get the upgraded sights or the custom let alone the II!

I tend to like the reliability and worn-in character and therefore care free daily usefulness of my pocket carry LCP.

Anyone out there still own, carry and like their LCP with the Loooooong trigger and puny, puny non sights??

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'm on my third one and it is staying.

First one had off center primer strikes and was not reliable. Went back

Second one peened the barrel hood after being shot a bunch. WEnt back.

Third one has been just right.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hello!

So I have an original. It’s worn in with the finish worn off and it shoots straight POA, POI. Never s failure of any king except it doesn’t lock back on the last rnd. ( joke ?).

As a carry gun I like it. I can dump all 7 rnds, one- handed, into a paper plate at 7 yards.

So I missed the boat or rather, was too early for the fir the boat, to get the upgraded sights or the custom let alone the II!

I tend to like the reliability and worn-in character and therefore care free daily usefulness of my pocket carry LCP.

Anyone out there still own, carry and like their LCP with the Loooooong trigger and puny, puny non sights??
I will speak for my Wife & say yes she has tried a few carry pistols & always comes back to her Gen.1 LCP.
She also shoots one-handed, but not as good as you, she can hit silhouette at 7 to 9 yards.
I could never master the Trigger of the LCP.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You didn't miss the boat, you are one of the lucky ones! I have a Generation 1 which goes bang every time and I would not switch it out for all the tea in China! If you have an LCP that WORKS reliably, KEEP IT......the grass isn't always greener on the other side. There are a lot of well intentioned folks on here who haven't a clue about what the LCP really is about.

Let me address a few of the things you mentioned. These are points that I stress to all my defensive carry students.

Sights on an LCP are absolutely meaningless! If you are looking for your sights on a small pocket gun, your going to die! Practice point and shoot until you are totally competent from inside 5 yards......no further than 5 yards is necessary for realistic practice in situations where you would "introduce" the LCP.

Locking back after the last shot.....Big deal, it means nothing! In the real world, your not reloading a pocket pistol!!!! Don't even bother with a spare mag....if you need more than 7 shots, your in deep doo doo, and probably couldn't hit a target with a full box of ammo in any case.....time to run/seek cover.

Only folks who are poor shooters worry about the long trigger pull. A good shooter should be able to group all 7 shots inside an 8 inch circle at rapid fire with no sights at a distance of 5 yards( if you can't do that, without sights. then more practice is in order), many of my colleagues routinely are inside of 4 inches. The long trigger is your friend, makes for a safer gun. If you are training properly, you will not even notice the "long" pull. In a real life shooting scenario, you will never notice the trigger pull. This LCP is not a target gun and it is important to practice as you would respond, looking for your sights is looking to die!

·
Registered
73 Posts
You didn't miss the boat, you are one of the lucky ones! I have a Generation 1 which goes bang every time and I would not switch it out for all the tea in China! If you have an LCP that WORKS reliably, KEEP IT......the grass isn't always greener on the other side. There are a lot of well intentioned folks on here who haven't a clue about what the LCP really is about.

Let me address a few of the things you mentioned. These are points that I stress to all my defensive carry students.

Sights on an LCP are absolutely meaningless! If you are looking for your sights on a small pocket gun, your going to die! Practice point and shoot until you are totally competent from inside 5 yards......no further than 5 yards is necessary for realistic practice in situations where you would "introduce" the LCP.

Locking back after the last shot.....Big deal, it means nothing! In the real world, your not reloading a pocket pistol!!!! Don't even bother with a spare mag....if you need more than 7 shots, your in deep doo doo, and probably couldn't hit a target with a full box of ammo in any case.....time to run/seek cover.

Only folks who are poor shooters worry about the long trigger pull. A good shooter should be able to group all 7 shots inside an 8 inch circle at rapid fire with no sights at a distance of 5 yards( if you can't do that, without sights. then more practice is in order), many of my colleagues routinely are inside of 4 inches. The long trigger is your friend, makes for a safer gun. If you are training properly, you will not even notice the "long" pull. In a real life shooting scenario, you will never notice the trigger pull. This LCP is not a target gun and it is important to practice as you would respond, looking for your sights is looking to die!
Took the words right out of my mouth!

·
Registered
420 Posts

Now why you want to go calling me a poor shot ? I guess you can have your Opinion, I have the same opinion as Hickok45 when he said the little LCP was a gun we all wanted to like wasn't it, probably more than we could.
A long heavy trigger does not worry me, I have & shoot well a SD9ve notorious for it's long heavy trigger, & also as Hickok45 said, with big hands it is the distances between the back of the frame ( back strap ) & where the trigger breaks that is the problem.
Guess that is why my wife likes the Gen.1 LCP so much it fits her small hands.

·
Registered
238 Posts

Yep to all that.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Got mine when they first came out in '09 and never looked back. Always a constant and trusted companion. Replaced the guide rod and springs and added the Hogue grip. Still running strong. Guess I got a good one.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A lot of it has to do with hand size. I have a medium sized hand (unlike Hickok45) and I put the Hogue Grip on to fill out the grip.

I will speak for my Wife & say yes she has tried a few carry pistols & always comes back to her Gen.1 LCP.
She also shoots one-handed, but not as good as you, she can hit silhouette at 7 to 9 yards.
I could never master the Trigger of the LCP.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I like my Gen 2 a lot . It only gets shot now and then . I don't expect it to be a range gun . Yeah , it will shoot itself apart if shot thousands of rounds a month . For up close shooting , I think it will hit it's mark without a lot of "training". At close range I could probably hit you in the head with it if I threw it at you .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I have to say your response rings so true and is based on reality. I always thought the initial incarnation is consistent with the intended mission of the LCP. All the complaints led Ruger to improve the sights, the trigger pull and the added lock back. So Ruger made the correct business decision; made the changes according to demand and sold a ton of them!

I often wonder what a "good trigger" is. I'm not sure I need or want a "good trigger" (light and short) for a self defense gun. I began my shooting experience with revolvers and I always practiced DA vs SA and still do today. So a long heavy trigger never hindered my shooting ability.

The reason I asked the question is that all the forums, reviews and threads are so positive on the upgrade version o the LCP and subsequently, the LCP II, it appeared I was the only one happy with the original. It's so good to read an instructor confirming the virtues of the original. Most of what I read makes me feel I should dump my original for a newer one.

The only thing I regret is how much I paid for my LCP. It was probably just over $300.00! Now the newest ones are less than that. Can you imagine what a used original would sell for? haha....$50.00? No thanks, I'll keep my well worn-in, reliable accurate mission designed original. To me it's still worth over $300.00.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like my Gen 2 a lot . It only gets shot now and then . I don't expect it to be a range gun . Yeah , it will shoot itself apart if shot thousands of rounds a month . For up close shooting , I think it will hit it's mark without a lot of "training". At close range I could probably hit you in the head with it if I threw it at you .

Absolutely.... I consider the LCP a good example of a carry often, shoot seldom. Plus the cost of 380 ACP!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got mine when they first came out in '09 and never looked back. Always a constant and trusted companion. Replaced the guide rod and springs and added the Hogue grip. Still running strong. Guess I got a good one.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

And those there items are the EXACT there things that I replaced too!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Absolutely.... I consider the LCP a good example of a carry often, shoot seldom. Plus the cost of 380 ACP!
I differ a little, I shoot often 2 or 3 times a week I just don't shoot a lot, just a mag or 2. I do carry it almost everywhere I go, even ( shh shh ) some places I maybe shouldn't. & that is the great thing about any of the LCP's no one has to know you have it.
What I like abut the LCP II is I didn't have to change grip or shooting style from the way I train with my home defense pistols.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Been carrying mine about 75% of the time for 9 years. great little gun.
Add a Kahr CT380 in another 20% of the time, with a Kahr CW45 filling in the last 5% (cold weather jacket carry).

Have about 140 rounds through the LCP without a failure, and the finish is still 100%.

Bought the improved Gen 2 (not the Gen II) earlier this year just because it was cheap - haven't shot that one yet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I’ve been toting one since 2010 it’s got the 2 part serial number and the finish still looks good. The only ammo I had a problem with was CCI aluminum, I did switch guide rod and spring because jhp would occasionally hang up when I racked the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Good to see some of the original members back !

Reactions: w
1 - 20 of 87 Posts