Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just introduced to Urban Carry Holsters. Very innovative holster. I do have some concerns about the trigger being properly protected by the soft leather in deep concealment though. Any other thoughts on this type holster?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I carry IWB at 3:00 with a belt holster that is easily accessed while sitting, standing, or driving. I watched the Urban carry video and it said there is a place for your license. I don't think that is a good idea. In my state (TX), I'm required to produce my CHL if asked for ID. Pulling your gun out to get to the license in front of a cop, might not turn out very well for you or get you shot. YMMV.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I carry IWB at 3:00 with a belt holster that is easily accessed while sitting, standing, or driving. I watched the Urban carry video and it said there is a place for your license. I don't think that is a good idea. In my state (TX), I'm required to produce my CHL if asked for ID. Pulling your gun out to get to the license in front of a cop, might not turn out very well for you or get you shot. YMMV.
I can't disagree with that, I'd opt for carrying my license in my wallet. What other issues, if any do you see.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Looks like a waste of $65 to me! Does not look to be very secure, don't know about trigger coverage.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I can't disagree with that, I'd opt for carrying my license in my wallet. What other issues, if any do you see.
Never saw a holster that you twist up. That sucker has to be very soft and I'm not sure that is good for long term construction. Considering it is so deeply concealed, I'm not sure how you could get it out sitting down or driving.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like one of the slowest two handed drawing I ever saw.
Good point. It's certainly a compromise one would have to make for such deep concealment. Still it may be an option for someone that wants to carry but must dress in a certain way.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you're still open and looking. Gee... Remora has a bunch of alternative setups on their holsters. They'll do anything custom. I have a 3in1 coming with a strap long enough for my waist. This is for an LCP. That's for complete concealment. There's much more to a Remora than nylon and a sticky outside. There is a layer in there that sets rather hard. You can heat it up. Then freeze it. To create a custom set. And it's hard.
Just sharing a thought if you're interested. I was surprised by my first Remora. A OWB that I wear IWB.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I could see using that in certain situations / dressing requirements. It definitely hides things when you aren't wearing an overshirt. I too would be concerned about the softness of the leather in case of the freak event that you bump into something a certain way (that you probably couldn't duplicate in a hundred tries) resulting in the trigger being operated.

What type of carry / dress situation has you considering this?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I could see using that in certain situations / dressing requirements. It definitely hides things when you aren't wearing an overshirt. I too would be concerned about the softness of the leather in case of the freak event that you bump into something a certain way (that you probably couldn't duplicate in a hundred tries) resulting in the trigger being operated.

I honestly don't think I'm considering this for myself, I just like innovative, creative ideas and thought I'd share it. I hadn't seen anything like it before.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts

I am warming up to the thought of a soft leather holster but only for a weapon with a double action trigger. I think the Urban covers the trigger very well.
When we were discussing the clip for the LCP everyone had concerns about nothing covering the trigger. Actually your pocket is covering the trigger. I put this idea to test and could not cycle the trigger. I tried multiple objects in my pocket and tried external means to cycle the trigger through my pocket. I couldn't make it happen. My LCP has a clip now but mostly I use my nemesis. I have some soft leather and may copy the urban idea or something like it.

At the Cabellas gun counter we cycled the LC9s trigger through a nemesis holster! Gave me the shivers. Den

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recently obtained an Urban Carry medium size holster for my S&W Shield 9mm. Seemed like a good option for certain carry situations, but I found that it really didn't work for me.

First really significant problem is that the leather has a slight sued finish to the outside of the holster. Since the way this system works is that you pull the holster up past your belt, the surface needs to be very smooth and slick, not sticky sued. I had to really struggle to pull the holster into the access position. Not good!

Second, you have to have your belt tight enough to hold the weight of the gun. Even if the holster outer surface was slick, rather than a sued like finish, it is quite difficult to pull the bulk of the pistol/holster up past my belt. This might be less of a problem with an LCP, but with that pistol, I just pocket carry it, which is why I got the LCP in the first place.

All in all, the Urban Carry was a waste of my money. I have a Smart Carry holster that works much better for situations where I would have used the Urban Carry and the Smart Carry doesn't require a belt, which makes it great when wearing belt-less shorts and sweat pants.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I recently obtained an Urban Carry medium size holster for my S&W Shield 9mm. Seemed like a good option for certain carry situations, but I found that it really didn't work for me.

First really significant problem is that the leather has a slight sued finish to the outside of the holster. Since the way this system works is that you pull the holster up past your belt, the surface needs to be very smooth and slick, not sticky sued. I had to really struggle to pull the holster into the access position. Not good!

Second, you have to have your belt tight enough to hold the weight of the gun. Even if the holster outer surface was slick, rather than a sued like finish, it is quite difficult to pull the bulk of the pistol/holster up past my belt. This might be less of a problem with an LCP, but with that pistol, I just pocket carry it, which is why I got the LCP in the first place.

All in all, the Urban Carry was a waste of my money. I have a Smart Carry holster that works much better for situations where I would have used the Urban Carry and the Smart Carry doesn't require a belt, which makes it great when wearing belt-less shorts and sweat pants.
Did you take advantage of their return window? I too got one for a Shield but knew the instant it went in my waist it was going back.

Randy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oops, I didn't realize they had a "return window". By now, it is probably too late. Besides I would have to package and ship it -- and that sounds like work! lol

·
Registered
351 Posts
I recently purchased an "Urban Carry" holster for my also recently purchased Ruger LC9s:

I really like this holster. Maybe over the last 5-years they've been updating their holsters, but what I really like is the open top, no straps to unsnap in a hurry. There is a tough plastic clip that grabs hold of the trigger guard to prevent the pistol from dumping out, and the holding tension is adjustable for personal desires as to how tight the pistol is held.
The holster holds my LC9s tight to my waist so it doesn't print even when wearing a T-shirt, which I also like. I'd recommend that these holsters, at least for me, are much more accessible in the Urban brand holster than in a cargo shorts pocket, which I carried my previous LC9 in over the last several summers. Just too fumbly for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought one a year ago for my p365, but forgot I had it until I saw this post. I wouldn’t personally consider it for the lcp because i prefer to pocket carry the lcp in my desantis super fly. And because it’s so easy to pocket Carry my lcp, I choose it over my other guns 90% of the time. i do actually like the urban carry for my p365 when I can’t holster carry. The new model has a built in trigger guard/retaining clip. And a solid belt clip. It’s also comfortable when driving and im able draw fairly easy while sitting down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts