Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little history, my LCP is a original that I purchased new many years ago. It has spent most of it's life in a pocket of sweatpants or shorts worn around the house. I don't shoot it a great deal, maybe 100-150 rounds a year. I've lost count now, but I know it went without a malfunction in all this time, probably 1000rds or better.

Last time I had it too the range I experienced it's first and rather strange malfunction. I fired the first couple of rounds out of the magazine when the slide locked up tight. Couldn't budge it. I discovered a coil of the recoil spring had somehow gotten wedged between the recoil spring guide and the hole in the slide for the guide to pass through. Quite difficult to get it apart, I had to pound it out, losing the recoil spring and guide in the process. I ordered replacement parts from Ruger and it seems to function well again, but I will say my confidence in my Elsie pea has been shaken a bit.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Spring fatigue? Was it lubed well? Did you exercise a few rounds through it before you actually shot it? It >should< have cycled just fine but sometimes if I haven't shot a particular gun for a while I'll lube it then dry run (non-fire) a mag or two through it just to be safe. Hope things work out OK with the replacement parts.

Reactions: SGW Gunsmith

·
Registered
549 Posts
Unfortunately, the most neglected component in most firearms by their owners involves the springs. As was posted above, they do get weak over time and fail causing issues as you found. And as springs, especially recoil springs, get weaker they will allow the slide to batter the grip frame. If/when you feel the slide moving backward more freely, it's time for a new spring. Springs are the cheapest component in most guns.

Reactions: chefduane

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In actuality, I had changed the recoil spring prior to this event.

What I wonder about is how there is enough tolerance in the hole of the slide to allow a piece of the recoil spring along with the recoil spring guide to pass through that hole. Even now with the new spring and guide rod installed, I can see a coil of the inner spring through that hole with the gun in battery.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Does it cycle OK now?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well to be honest, I've only dry fired since I replaced the parts as I had a very limited ammo supply. However I was able to purchase two boxes of Federal American Eagle 95gr ball a couple of days ago, first I've seen on the shelf since this whole shortage thing started. I'll get to the range in the next few days and check it out. But in dry fire everything is working normally.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Here are a few measurements from my LCP Custom with a factory stainless steel guide rod:
.142-guide rod hole in slide
.132-guide rod diameter
.025-each recoil spring wire diameter
.022- amount tip of guide rod that protrudes from end of slide weapon in battery.
I can also see the spring with weapon in battery if I look real close due to the radius on the tip of the rod.
In my view if the guide rod and recoil spring were stuck in the guide rod hole then the hole was cast too large.
You might want to send it back to Ruger for a new slide. Den

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the measurements, I'll check mine out. Been thinking about this, as I said in the original post, I had between 800-1000 RDS through this gun before the malfunction. There was some significant wear on the original guide rod as I recall. It seems likely to me that this wear may have enlarged the tolerances to the point this may occur. I'm thinking these may have come out with aluminum guide rods.

Anyway, I fired 56rds through her today with no issues of any kind. At 15yds and in this little gun has always impressed me with it's accuracy and shootability. It did no less today. Hopefully the ammo will be more available and I'll be able to put a few more through her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts