Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Would not be caught dead with this rig on myself................as I have said before though, different strokes for different folks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
696 Posts
there are many more places to carry more comfortable than around my neck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,499 Posts
HowardCohodas said:
I guess I need to use a better emoticon to express my "Can you believe this" reactions. Or maybe I should have put this in the humor section.
Yes, or at least until we get to know you better. ;) Some of us tend to scan/read rather fast (the boss could be right around the corner) and miss these little smiling, winking, frowning and "you've offended my sensibilities faces."

Anyone who requires immediate and fluid access to their weapon would be hard pressed to justify this mode of carry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
humm, guess you got ur answer my friend :eek: now stick it back in ur drawer along with what I also consider about as worthless--the ankle holster. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jocko said:
humm, guess you got ur answer my friend :eek: now stick it back in ur drawer along with what I also consider about as worthless--the ankle holster. ;)
If you still have questions on where I stand on this holster after reading reply #4, let me know. Sometimes I'm too pithy for my own good. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
terrydwaters said:
What is it about the gun crowd that makes us so opinionated? ???

Why is this such a bad idea?
How many reasons do you want?

-No Positive security for the weapon.
-No positive security for the holster.
-Poor accessibility.
-Will, without a doubt print.
-Having anything large around your neck is inviting someone to strangle you.
-"Holster" will bounce around and move erratically; this will be a pretty big irritation.
-Lack of security for the holster means point of draw will be different every time
-Lack of security for holster means draw will not be smooth and you'll be fighting a holster that gets stuck on the pistol.
-A fully loaded LCP (about 11oz) hanging from your neck will irritate the back of your neck where the chain sits.
-If the chain breaks, your pistol falls to the ground, not only endangering you and those around you, but also showing the world that you're carrying (as if the big-ass print on your chest wasn't enough of a sign saying "I'm the world's biggest douchebag and I like to have a pistol in the middle of my chest).


This one is right up there with the knife hung from a chain around your neck idea... So if it happens to come out you get sliced or stabbed in the guts by your own knife.

Common Sense is really a trait people should try better to develop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've joined in the "picking on" this holster idea. However, to be fair and balanced, let's take a look at what the maker has to say.

http://www.stellarrigs.com/gun_neckchain_rigs.html

The Ruger LCP is a perfect fit in the P3AT second generation horizontal carry

Neck Chain Holster - Ambidextrous (same "print" on both sides) with 36" Stainless Steel BallChain

The Kel-Tec neck chain concealment rigs were developed originally for LEOs to carry the back up gun under their vests. Over time a number of "civilian requests" had us make a vertical version for better concealment. Now comes the "Extreme Duty" evolution. The most popular question by phone or email is "how well does it hold?" Our standard answer is "fine for cruising around in you car or walking but not well enough to jump out of helicopters or off fences - is that what you want to do?" The answer is usually no - but just in case. We are now making "Extreme Duty" versions in Blac and the sexy carbon fiber laminate and they hang on almost as well as the NAA mini-revolver models. In fact, You nearly have to "force load" them. Yeah, they hang on good !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
HowardCohodas said:
I've joined in the "picking on" this holster idea. However, to be fair and balanced, let's take a look at what the maker has to say.

http://www.stellarrigs.com/gun_neckchain_rigs.html

The Ruger LCP is a perfect fit in the P3AT second generation horizontal carry

Neck Chain Holster - Ambidextrous (same "print" on both sides) with 36" Stainless Steel BallChain

The Kel-Tec neck chain concealment rigs were developed originally for LEOs to carry the back up gun under their vests. Over time a number of "civilian requests" had us make a vertical version for better concealment. Now comes the "Extreme Duty" evolution. The most popular question by phone or email is "how well does it hold?" Our standard answer is "fine for cruising around in you car or walking but not well enough to jump out of helicopters or off fences - is that what you want to do?" The answer is usually no - but just in case. We are now making "Extreme Duty" versions in Blac and the sexy carbon fiber laminate and they hang on almost as well as the NAA mini-revolver models. In fact, You nearly have to "force load" them. Yeah, they hang on good !
I really hate to go there... but I will...

A "vertical version"?  Let's think this one through...  If you have it so you can draw one handed, that means the butt will be down, muzzle up; if this were the design and anyone used it... well, I'd have no pity when they have an AD and end up with 95 grains of lead ripping it's way through their chin, mouth and either brain or nasal/sinus cavities.  Okay lets say it's designed "safe" with the muzzle down, butt up... So now you obviously can't draw one handed because you'll have this stupid neck holster coming up with it.  So better have two hands free for the draw.  Anyway, all of my other points still hold true for this vertical variation on stupidity.

Out of all the places you can stash a tiny gun like the LCP, hanging around your neck shouldn't even be on the list... Most pants have four pockets, you've got an entire belt-line, ankle holsters (which I'm not a fan of, but they beat the hell out of this).  If you want it with your vest... okay, have a holster attached to your carrier.

I'm sure people buy it... I'm sure someone here has one... Will they speak up?  Doubt it... can't blame them, I wouldn't want to get flamed either.  But hey, sucker born every minute right?




Anyway, good find Howard!!  I've found it kind of entertaining!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
I can't believe anyone would carry a gun with the business end pointed at there chin, no freaking way.
Maybe I'm paranoid but I never,ever point any gun at something I don't intend to shoot. As I recall that is the #1 rule in the CCW class.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Well let's see now. There probably a place in society that something like this would work.
If it could be made of a gold or silver colored material.
Put a fancy heavy chain on it.
Plate the gun to match.

SELL IT AS NECK BLING TO A RAPPER
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Look at the design - for use under a vest? Not a real quick last backup access method. I call BS on that. I'm aware that any backup pistol must fall readily to hand, and anything under a shirt is not that. Officers in our area pocket carry precisely for that reason. It's much more accessible in a holstered gun grab situation.

Bead chain is designed for breakaway so you can't get strangled on it - and is therefore potentially too weak for that tightly molded Kydex. If you have to force it in that hard, it takes equal force to remove it - and probably two hands. If it's easy enough to remove with one hand, it will get jounced out jumping suburban fences on a foot chase.

Kydex will eventually abrade the finish because it holds grit against the weapon like a piece of emery cloth. Lots of expensive field knife users have noted their scuffed blades because of this, as does the gun crowd. An abraded finish in a near skin carry will rust.

I've tried neck carry with purpose built knives, and I doesn't work for me. Horrible access, printing, difficulty sheathing, increased risk of injury, and discomfort from the bead chain weighted down with more than two dog tags - which is all it was designed for.

Yup, gold plate that sucker, it's gangsta bling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
tirod said:
Bead chain is designed for breakaway so you can't get strangled on it - and is therefore potentially too weak for that tightly molded Kydex. If you have to force it in that hard, it takes equal force to remove it - and probably two hands. If it's easy enough to remove with one hand, it will get jounced out jumping suburban fences on a foot chase.
There are bead chain of significantly greater strength and over-all size. But that feeds right into your point... and mine. If it's not strong enough for someone to choke you with it, it's not going to be strong enough to single hand draw (never-mind the fact that it's not affixed to anything). If it's strong enough that you can single hand draw, then it's strong enough to strangle you with.

Weapons should just not be carried hanging from your neck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
tirod said:
Look at the design - for use under a vest? Not a real quick last backup access method. I call BS on that. I'm aware that any backup pistol must fall readily to hand, and anything under a shirt is not that. Officers in our area pocket carry precisely for that reason. It's much more accessible in a holstered gun grab situation.
I was just thinking how much of a PITA it is when I get one of those random itches under my vest. Can't imagine going through that while taking blows to the face and/or securing my duty weapon.... I pocket carry my BUG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
I knew I saw that idea somewhere else...

Raven Concealment makes the same thing. And they seem to have a great rep (at least with the HK guys). Still a terrible idea tho :-\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
I've seen the same thing for lockback knives like Spyderco Enduras. My take on Kydex is that just because someone makes something in it, it may not actually be a solution to anyones' problem.

I have some Kydex knife sheaths, and did custom order one for a Swamp Rat Camp Tramp. It has it's advantages, but comfort isn't one of them - on the belt, ok, next to skin, nope.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top