Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume the screw directly under the trigger is for adjusting the travel.... Has anyone done this or have any reason not to? I know the long heavy trigger pull is the gun's only safety.... My holster fully covers the trigger and I rarely carry with one in the chamber unless I happen to be driving thru a shady area or something.... 20161119_182525.jpg

·
Registered
592 Posts
I assume the screw directly under the trigger is for adjusting the travel.... Has anyone done this or have any reason not to? I know the long heavy trigger pull is the gun's only safety.... My holster fully covers the trigger and I rarely carry with one in the chamber unless I happen to be driving thru a shady area or something....
I think you should leave the gun alone; and always carry with one in the chamber.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
That is not an adjustment screw. If it has a slot for a screwdriver, make sure it is tight. That is the trigger pin you are looking at. Den

Reactions: 9190

·
Registered
504 Posts
I assume the screw directly under the trigger is for adjusting the travel.... Has anyone done this or have any reason not to? I know the long heavy trigger pull is the gun's only safety.... My holster fully covers the trigger and I rarely carry with one in the chamber unless I happen to be driving thru a shady area or something.... View attachment 7626
Nope,The factory trigger is not adjustable. Although there is one available. The RTK Sweet Pea trigger will allow you to adjust both the take-up and over travel. Several of us here have them in our LCP's. They do not change the weight of the trigger pull but they will remove a small portion of how far the trigger travels.
RTK Triggers

LCPSPR.jpg

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, that's a really nice trigger. I want to get one but installing it is a bit beyond me, I could always have a gun Smith do it but the trigger plus the installation would probably be kinda pricey....

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
An adjustable trigger in a self-defense pistol can be a very bad thing. If the adjustment creeps just a little bit, it could make the pistol become a fancy brick just when you need it most. Please stay away from adjustable triggers in the LCP.

Adjustable triggers are fine in a target pistol. Inanimate targets don't shoot back or stick you with a knife if your pistol fails to fire.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I purchased my LCP just weeks before the new ( what Ruger calls a Gen 2) came out. I didn't like the trigger but it was better then the early model. And, far better than the S&W Bodyguard. Then I fired a friend's new Gen 2. You won't believe the difference. I like the sights, it locks back on the last round and has what feels like a 5 lb trigger. Not being able to just get a new gun I decided to order and install a Fort Wayne Tactical 5.5 trigger kit. Still not a Gen 2 but I am satisfied with the trigger. I'll take it to the range on Thursday. I'm not a great shot but with my 1911 I can stay inside a 3" group at 10 yards, but I was all over the place with my LPC. I'll let you know how it shoots.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wife has tge S&W Bodyguard and LCP II. She loves the LCP II trigger a lot better than the Bodyguard. With a small pocket gun what is a pound or two with the trigger pull. I think it does not make any difference. Sites are good and the slide locking open with the last round is a plus.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
OK, I'm convinced. I will perform absolutely no mods on my LCP ever . . . no aftermarket springs, no trigger swaps, no feed ramp polishing, no magazine extensions, NOTHING . . . unless they are manufactured and/or approved by Ruger. The liability issue is a bigger stopper for me than the warranty issue. The last thing I ever want to do is have to explain why I decided to modify my carry pistol in a court of law. I can hear the prosecutor's question now . . . what was I trying to do, make it more lethal? It's kind of too bad too because part of the reason I came here was to find out how I could modify my LCP to make it "better". Apparently, the only intelligent way to make it better is to go to the range, learn how to shoot it, practice, practice, practice, then stick it in my pocket and forget about it unless (God Forbid!) I actually need to use it.

Some of you guys are real party poopers, but I can't thank you enough for setting me straight before I fell off the rails.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad you are willing to consider the well given advice. Many on this forum are responsible and knowledgeable gun owners not "party poopers".
Please continue to practice and contribute to the forum.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Many on this forum are responsible and knowledgeable gun owners not "party poopers".
I know. I was half-kidding. And yes, I'll stick around. I have a feeling I'm going to need you guys a lot more than you're going to need me.

Oh, and this makes 5 posts. HOORAY! :tears_of_joy:

·
Registered
105 Posts
An adjustable trigger in a self-defense pistol can be a very bad thing. If the adjustment creeps just a little bit, it could make the pistol become a fancy brick just when you need it most. Please stay away from adjustable triggers in the LCP.

Adjustable triggers are fine in a target pistol. Inanimate targets don't shoot back or stick you with a knife if your pistol fails to fire.
Best advice you will ever get regarding an LCP. I just don't understand some of these folks who want to carry a defensive handgun yet think they are improving on what skilled Ruger engineers have developed! Foolish indeed!!!

·
Registered
486 Posts
If anyone wants a better trigger on their Gen 1 or Gen 2 Lcp's I suggest getting a new Gen II Lcp. To me the trigger is just right. I'm not for modifying a self defense pocket pistol such as the Lcp.

·
Registered
504 Posts
If the Ruger engineers have decided to do an upgrade on their original design (making it more user friendly) then my fiddling with my personal arm is a non issue... Hello guys, there are a lot of factory personal defense guns out there with adjustable triggers. They are not target guns or race guns either, they are every day carry guns. If someone comes out with an LCP sized 1911 chambered in .380acp that I can carry cocked and locked I'd trade it in a minute. In the mean time the DAO trigger on my Gen1 LCP with an upgraded user friendly Sweet Pea Trigger is MY choice. Seriously the trigger is just as hard to pull it just has a little bit of take up removed from the equation prior to the actual engagement of the sear. Ya, I'd call a few of you guys out as "Party Poopers"... but then I also think outside of the box.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Heaven forbid someone puts adjustable sights on their LCP they would be accused of trying to make the gun more accurate. Ruger engineers know better than to do that... ??? Making sense?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, I'm convinced. I will perform absolutely no mods on my LCP ever . . . no aftermarket springs, no trigger swaps, no feed ramp polishing, no magazine extensions, NOTHING . . . unless they are manufactured and/or approved by Ruger. The liability issue is a bigger stopper for me than the warranty issue. The last thing I ever want to do is have to explain why I decided to modify my carry pistol in a court of law. I can hear the prosecutor's question now . . . what was I trying to do, make it more lethal? It's kind of too bad too because part of the reason I came here was to find out how I could modify my LCP to make it "better". Apparently, the only intelligent way to make it better is to go to the range, learn how to shoot it, practice, practice, practice, then stick it in my pocket and forget about it unless (God Forbid!) I actually need to use it.

Some of you guys are real party poopers, but I can't thank you enough for setting me straight before I fell off the rails.
Idk, as far as grips, and stuff like that, you're not trying to make it more lethal, you're just trying to use your weapon proficiently. If the tiny thing is hard to aim and flies out of your hand, and a couple mods could help with that, it's actually safer, less of a change to miss or hit any bystanders. I definitely could see a problem with skulls and all that, but if a couple mods help u have more control it could be looked on as being safe and responsible. Just my opinion

1 - 20 of 25 Posts