Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking around these Forums for quite some time but haven't posted. My EDC is a Springfield XDs 9mm but lately I've been looking at the Ruger American 9mm Compact. Curious if anyone has gone from the S-A to the Ruger or the other way around. The RCA 9mm looks like a good addition as an EDC pistol, not ready to give up my XDs, the RCA 9 would be in addition to the XDs. It looks like it has gotten some good reviews including a Hickok 45 review. Any useful information would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
4,593 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Celebration Florida.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hickok loves everything. He is paid to say nice things. My range has a lot of newer model handguns to rent. Ranges that carry a wide variety of rentals are the way to go when deciding on a firearm. Look around and see if any of the ranges near you have your preferred firearm for rent and give it a try before you buy. That is what I do. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Welcome from the Buckeye State......Christopher has good advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Welcome and greetings from Ohio. If you can take some time and test other makes and models. The Springfield XDs 9mm for now can serve your needs while searching. I am biased on the Ruger American 9mm Compact, it is a good solid tool and IMHO a very good choice. There are many offerings on the market now and you can find something that fits your needs. If you go with Ruger American you will not be disappointed. Check out the Ruger SR9c and Sig P365 before you decide. SA/DA vs. SA is a good question to ask. Good luck! Get what you want->take time and try before you buy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a Springfield Arms XDs .45 because my Ruger American .45 blew up in my hand. I know this isn't the comparison you wanted, but I might add that my Ruger American Compact 9mm just had a major failure. The recoil spring on the larger (front) guide rod came loose while shooting, which caused me to freak out a bit because it wouldn't allow me to eject the round or set the slide back. I MUST add that I, just recently, contacted Ruger, and they are sending me a replacement rod with springs. That's the bad. Truth is that I love the American Pistols (9mm and .45). They are comfortable in firing. The Ruger American Compact will be slightly wider.

·
Registered
449 Posts
No pics yet from post #6...Sorry to hear this happened to poster #6...!?
My experience and investigation did not turn up any Ruger Americans that have "blown up". Just the opposite for me the Ruger American is built very solid and a excellent platform. Easy, accurate shooters and built like a tank on both full size and compact models 9mm. or 45 etc. (the rental we have at our range has been used, abused and still is very solid.)
*All manufacturers have some issues with guide rod assemblies and recoil springs.

Reactions: SGW Gunsmith

·
Registered
409 Posts
No pics yet from post #6...Sorry to hear this happened to poster #6...!?
My experience and investigation did not turn up any Ruger Americans that have "blown up". Just the opposite for me the Ruger American is built very solid and a excellent platform. Easy, accurate shooters and built like a tank on both full size and compact models 9mm. or 45 etc. (the rental we have at our range has been used, abused and still is very solid.)
*All manufacturers have some issues with guide rod assemblies and recoil springs.
I know it's just me, but I'd have all sorts of pictures taken from as many angles as possible, and maybe even include several 19 year old scantily clad models showing that "blowed up pistol".
Seems there might be a bit MORE to the story as to just how that pistol came unglued during his shooting session?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I recently purchased a Springfield Arms XDs .45 because my Ruger American .45 blew up in my hand. I know this isn't the comparison you wanted, but I might add that my Ruger American Compact 9mm just had a major failure. The recoil spring on the larger (front) guide rod came loose while shooting, which caused me to freak out a bit because it wouldn't allow me to eject the round or set the slide back. I MUST add that I, just recently, contacted Ruger, and they are sending me a replacement rod with springs. That's the bad. Truth is that I love the American Pistols (9mm and .45). They are comfortable in firing. The Ruger American Compact will be slightly wider.
WOW What caused the Ruger American .45 to blow up in your hand ? A SQUIB LOAD has been known to blow up the gun no matter the brand . Springfield & Ruger Fire arms are good fire arms both have good warranty's Springfield Armory & Ruger has an excellent customer service . I see Dennis SGW Gunsmith is making friends here with his smart remarks ! He has been BAN from several other Ruger Forums ie Ruger Talk & Rimfire central for his Troll like behavior & conduct . So pay him no mind. I just put him on my Ignore List. I hope you get your problems solved I have an XDE.45 as well but its a safe queen ,I prefer my XD Tactical because its 5.25 " barrel & Its 14 shots with one in the chamber the longer sight radius is a plus over my XDE . I like Big Guns and I can not lie . Here is a photo of a few of the Springfield Pistols I own .I like the Ruger American Line as well but I don't own any of them but would like to have a full size 9mm Pistol with 17 Round Magazines compatible with my Ruger PC 9 Carbine. Far Right is the XDE .45ACP .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts