Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Technically, not the pistol version, but I have a Ruger AR-556. I have been told only Military Grade .223 should be used as the cheaper .223 crimps in the AR. A weaker throat or some such. Thoughts?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ammodotcom has posted some really good ammunition articles, and a particularly good one on the differences between .223 and 5.56:

5.56 has a slightly larger powder charge, and the 5.56 chamber has a 1/8 inch longer chamber before the start of the rifling in the barrel, which allows the higher charge round to fire safely.

I bought a 5.56 rifle last year and the instructions for break in were to use 5.56 for the break in, so that it will cycle correctly and break in correctly. After that, I can use .223, just adjust the gas valve.
Not sure if your rifle has adjustable gas, or exactly what the break in instructions are. I don't see anything in the manual posted on Ruger's website. That is worth looking for. But the manual does say it can use both rounds.
In general, I would think that running a couple hundred rounds of good quality 5.56 would be the best approach. Try some .223 later on after everything is working smoothly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts