Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 22/45 a few months back and have run a few hundred rounds through with constant jamming issues. It fails to eject the empty cartridge sometimes 3 or 4 times a magazine. I've tried taking it apart and cleaning, The only modification I've done is the hammer bushing magazine disconnect and the jamming didn't seem to get any better/worse after this.

I've been using Winchester hollow points and federal round and both seem to jam constantly. Any clues what is wrong with this gun...I thought these guns could shoot any/all ammo without issue?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If it's ever been dry fired, take a look at the chamber and see if the firing pin left a dent in the edge. Seen this happen many times. Might be causing the brass to stick. Easy to remove the protruding edge with a tiny file or stone.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
The best tool for taking dings out of .22 rimfire chamber edges that I have ever found, by far, is this .22 chamber ironing swage by Menck which is sold through Brownell's, Midway and other places. I've used mine numerous times with great success. This tool does not remove any metal like a file or stone would. It merely moves the dinged metal to where it should be.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You did replace the magazine disconnect with a bushing, yes?

It has to be dry fired to disassemble - look at the chamber as suggested above I guess.

I have a 22/45 (regular, not the lite, which I love the look of) and haven't had an issue with jamming. Replaced the magazine disconnect with a special bushing.

Is it new? You could send it ruger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, thanks I'll check out the chamber! Yes, the pistol is new and I have dry fired it several times....I didn't realize that it was so harmful to these pistols!

I'll pick up one of those ironing tools, thanks for the suggestion.

I've read these volquartsen extractors can be helpful, are any of you folks using one?
Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor Ruger 10/22 10/22 Mag Mark II Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I did replace the magazine disconnect with a bushing, I was sorta afraid to contact Ruger about returning it for inspection due to this modification....would this cause them to blame any issues on me?

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Great, thanks I'll check out the chamber! Yes, the pistol is new and I have dry fired it several times....I didn't realize that it was so harmful to these pistols!
What you want to look for is a dent on the breech end of the barrel at the edge of the chamber. Look at the bolt to see where the firing pin is located. It's probably at the 12:00 location (top) and, if so, that's where the dent would be on the breech of the barrel.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I did replace the magazine disconnect with a bushing, I was sorta afraid to contact Ruger about returning it for inspection due to this modification....would this cause them to blame any issues on me?
I have heard when you send a modified gun back to the factory, they will install stock parts and ship your modified parts back to when they return it. This is internet info, I've never actually spoken to someone who had that happened to them.

If it were mine, I'd return it to stock and insure it has the problem with the stock parts (which you said it did in the OP). If it did, I'd send it back stock.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ruger will fix it. If you want, return the magazine disconnect to stock before sending it, otherwise Ruger may correct that issue as well. Ruger has never blamed aftermarket parts for any failure I've had.

That said, the extractor is usually the problem on feed jams in this gun. And pretty much all .22 LR.firearms as well. Since you provide no information on the jam, there's not much valid advice we can give.

Jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ruger will fix it. If you want, return the magazine disconnect to stock before sending it, otherwise Ruger may correct that issue as well. Ruger has never blamed aftermarket parts for any failure I've had.

That said, the extractor is usually the problem on feed jams in this gun. And pretty much all .22 LR.firearms as well. Since you provide no information on the jam, there's not much valid advice we can give.

Jeff
What information can I provide on the jam? The empty cartridge fails to eject from the chamber and collides/jams with the round cycling up through the magazine. Would pictures help determine an issue?

I did strip the gun down and did not notice any marks left by the firing pin in the chamber. I located the firing pin and where I thought the issue might be but no marks I could see...does anyone have a picture of where the mark would be to make sure I didn't miss it?

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
What information can I provide on the jam? The empty cartridge fails to eject from the chamber and collides/jams with the round cycling up through the magazine. Would pictures help determine an issue?
Using the correct term would help when talking to Ruger. It sounds like you have an extraction problem, not an ejection problem. The are two completely separate processes that happen in quick succession. Extraction is the process of pulling the spent (fired) cartridge case out of the chamber. After the extraction is complete, the ejection process starts to kick the spent cartridge case clear of the pistol.

A photograph of what you see when the jam has occurred would be quite helpful to tell your story.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
This is an enigma. 22s are straight blow back, meaning Newton's laws come into play. There is no "extraction" as much as the spent case travels
in the opposite direction as the slug. The only time the extractor actually extracts is when you manually eject a live shell or a stuck case.
Therefore, (deep thinking here), if the case is in the firing chamber and a live round is jammed up behind it, the spent case is not being EJECTED properly.

IOW, the spent case must propel the bolt to the rear. The extractor holds the spent case on the bolt breech face. The ejector does NOT strike the rim of the spent case.
The spent case does NOT pivot on the extractor and out the ejection port. The extractor holds the spent case on the bolt breech face as the fresh cartridge is stripped from the magazine. You get what you have.

Bent the ejector over a mite is my answer and it's worth exactly what you paid.

Reactions: Snewk

·
Registered
412 Posts

I did strip the gun down and did not notice any marks left by the firing pin in the chamber. I located the firing pin and where I thought the issue might be but no marks I could see...does anyone have a picture of where the mark would be to make sure I didn't miss it?

That's usually a failure to extract. The easiest fix, beyond a return to Ruger, is a Volquartsen Exact Edge extractor. Works on 90% of the issues I see.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
There is no "extraction" with live fire. The action is cycled with direct energy from the fired round.
The spent case is propelled rearward and pushes the bolt with it.

Remember Newton? For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

The action is a fired round. The reaction is the spent case driving the bolt to the rear.

The factor is the weight of the projectile verses the weight of the bolt, the tension of the spring and the friction involved.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I own two MKIII Lite. I have taken out the mag disconnect and replaced with the Volquartsen Hammer" bushing etc. I also installed majestic arms Speed strip, and I disabled the loaded chamber indicator, which has caused many problems with both feeding and extraction for people. Mine shoot flawlessly now, anything I put through them. The pistol has an extractor & an ejector regardless of what all the arm chair gunsmiths are telling you. They serve two distinct purposes. The extractor does grip the rim and begin to pull the case from the chamber as the bolt retreats after firing, the casing then hits the fixed ejector on the side of the receiver opposite the ejection port, which throws it sideways and out. The loaded chamber Indicator sticks into the chamber & the cartridge rim rests on it when it is in the chamber, and that pushes the indicator out the side of the receiver where it can be seen and felt, indicating a loaded chamber. This 'indicator has been know to hang up, be to big, stick out into the receiver too much etc etc. That is why most people will modify it, so it does function but is just a filler. It is easy to do. You tube has it all. Look at mine, you will see the mods and the LCI.!
Photograph Air gun Trigger Wood Mammal
Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Wood

·
Registered
77 Posts
There is no "extraction" with live fire. The action is cycled with direct energy from the fired round.
The spent case is propelled rearward and pushes the bolt with it.

Remember Newton? For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

The action is a fired round. The reaction is the spent case driving the bolt to the rear.

The factor is the weight of the projectile verses the weight of the bolt, the tension of the spring and the friction involved.
That is not true, That is what the extractor is for, both live fire and for clearing a chamber. It holds the casing while the bolt retracts until it contacts the ejector!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts