Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2008/12/25/ruger-to-unveil-a-show-stopper-at-the-2009-shot-show/

Ruger to Unveil a Show-Stopper at the 2009 SHOT Show?

Guns Holsters and Gear said:
Guns Holsters and Gear
December 25th, 2008

In recent years, Sturm, Ruger & Co. have deviated from the larger, bulkier pistols they were known for and have been producing slimmer and smaller pistols such as the SR-9 and the LCP. The SR-9 has achieved moderate success, while the Ruger LCP has been an undeniable sensation.

The question is: What will Ruger introduce at the 2009 SHOT Show?

Michael Bane has made several comments about some new firearms he has seen that will be announced at SHOT. Bane even went so far as to refer to Ruger in his Christmas Eve podcast as the “Makers of the product that is going to absolutely, stone-cold, rock the 2009 SHOT Show in Orlando.” That is a pretty strong statement.

Back in November, Massad Ayoob suggested that Ruger may be introducing a SP101 revolver with an alloy frame chambered in .38 Special. While I think this would be a profitable gun for Ruger to bring to market, would it be the gun that “rocks” the SHOT show. I don’t think so. After all, several other manufacturers already make lightweight .38 revolvers.

What would excite the public? How about a 9mm LCP. There are a lot of people that really like the LCP, but dislike the .380 ACP cartridge. In my opinion, a LCP chambered for the 9×19 cartridge would be a big hit. Enough to “rock” the SHOT Show? Maybe.

How about a completely new Mini-14? Something along the lines of a Kel-Tec SU-16, maybe. Think of a Mini-14 that would be completely synthetic and stainless, that folds up nicely into a compact size, that can be marketed as a survival tool. The SU-16’s are popular, but imagine the same gun with the Ruger name and Mini-14 heritage attached to it. It might be a winning product. And lets face it…anything .223 is selling right now.

I do not believe that Ruger will be announcing a new full-sized pistol that would cut into the SR9 market. I also can’t see a new 10-22 being terribly revolutionary. I expect that the “show-stopper” Bane has predicted is coming from the concealed carry market or the black rifle market.

Regardless, stay tuned. I will bring you all of the new product announcements from the SHOT show.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
935 Posts
so would 'you' buy one, and would 'you' dump your .380 ACP? (and the 'you' that I'm referring to is everyone, not just HowardC)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MountainGator said:
so would 'you' buy one, and would 'you' dump your .380 ACP? (and the 'you' that I'm referring to is everyone, not just HowardC)
I'm, of course, conflicted. My LCP just returned from the hospital and we are getting reacquainted. Now I'm beginning to fantasize. My wife points out that I've always had a rich fantasy life. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
MountainGator said:
so would 'you' buy one, and would 'you' dump your .380 ACP? (and the 'you' that I'm referring to is everyone, not just HowardC)
In a heartbeat!,,,once the bugs and recalls have been completed. And the guns are very similar in size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
9mm I don't know about, but if they would come up with a reliable .40 in an extremely compact frame I would be all over it.

Something that will "rock the show" will have to hit pretty close to the bullseye of where the hot market is right now, which seems to be in the CC market - everyone and their dog seems to be coming out with .380s.

I'm going to guess either an LCC(Lightweight Compact Carbine) chambered in .380 and 9mm as magazine-interchangable companions for the LCP and SR9, or a new cartridge necked down from either a 9x17 or 9x19 case to a .327 bullet with similar ballistics to the .327 mag on an LCP frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
I guess time will tell... very shortly!

Anyhow, would I ditch the .380 LCP? Yup... If I have a 9x19mm in almost the exact same size (grip will have to be a bit longer from front to back to accommodate the OAL), I'd have no reason to keep the .380.

But, I'd have to say that to "rock the 2009 shot show", they'd have to be coming out with either a revolutionary semi-auto long gun (and that is something Ruger is entirely unassociated with... that abomination of the Garand design they call the mini-14 and mini-30 be damned), or a carry pistol unlike anything available from other common/big name firearms companies. I'm hoping for the later... specifically a 9mm LCP. I've for a long time been a hater of Ruger pistols(revolvers are another story) due to their almost thoughtless lay-out (controls and placement there of), large size, hefty weight and less then stellar ergonomics. The LCP was the first pistol from Ruger I'd even given a second look, let alone took home. Maybe they have a trend here (I hear the SR9 is a hell of a departure from the Ruger most people know).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
935 Posts
sniper3 said:
How long from the shot show do they traditionally release the new product? Weeks? Months?
Based on what I've read here (& other places), last year the LCP (first shown at the Shot Show) started hitting dealer gun cases in mid-late March/early April.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
696 Posts
With the underestimated success of the LCP by everyone including Ruger. I personally dont see Ruger coming out with a 9mm LCP this soon(maybe in a few years when and if the demand for the LCP stalls). They would be shooting theirselves in the foot by releasing a 9mm LCP, I could see an extreme compact .40, something along those lines. But, with all that said, if Ruger did come out with a 9mm LCP, you could bet your butt, I would be one of the first ones in line ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
RobR369 said:
They would be shooting theirselves in the foot by releasing a 9mm LCP,
Twice - because it would take sales from 2 of their already successful models - both the LCP and SR9. I don't think Ruger is big enough to pull a GM and start putting out several different lines that compete with each other.

I'm betting that if they do anything with a 9mm it will be along the lines of the Sig P250 and bring out a convertible gun that will shoot more than one of the popular calibers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
I wouldn't go for the 9 instead of relying on the .380. I have enough carry pieces and don't want to fall into the mode of "always upgrading" to the latest and greatest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
MountainGator said:
so would 'you' buy one, and would 'you' dump your .380 ACP? (and the 'you' that I'm referring to is everyone, not just HowardC)
if your all thinking of a lcp size 9mm, IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. When Ruger introduces their 9mm single stack it will be the size of the kt pf9 or possably the kahr pm9 but an lcp size 9mm, AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

anyone wanna take bets????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
argyle said:
RobR369 said:
They would be shooting theirselves in the foot by releasing a 9mm LCP,
Twice - because it would take sales from 2 of their already successful models - both the LCP and SR9. I don't think Ruger is big enough to pull a GM and start putting out several different lines that compete with each other.

I'm betting that if they do anything with a 9mm it will be along the lines of the Sig P250 and bring out a convertible gun that will shoot more than one of the popular calibers.
certainly the sig 250 is no pocket gun. 40 cal pocket rocket better be built like a tank or it won't hold up. How many 40 cal pocket guns can u name that are trustworthy??. A single stack 9 ultra lite compact would not comflict with the DOUBLE stack SR9, two different guns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
jocko said:
MountainGator said:
so would 'you' buy one, and would 'you' dump your .380 ACP? (and the 'you' that I'm referring to is everyone, not just HowardC)
if your all thinking of a lcp size 9mm, IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. When Ruger introduces their 9mm single stack it will be the size of the kt pf9 or possably the kahr pm9 but an lcp size 9mm, AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

anyone wanna take bets????
I agree with you Jocko... myself, I'd love to see a .40 cal in the likeness of the SR9 cause my KP944 does get heavy some times.....Wow...sounds good... a SR40......

SK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
I totally agree with Joko on this one. It's gonna be bigger than the LCP. And, if it's bigger, it can join the ranks of other compact 9mm like the Keltec and the Kahr. Nothing new there at all.

Of course, they would get a lot of publicity if they cloned and upgraded another of Kel-tec's products on top of the LCP. (Not ripping them for the LCP - just saying!)

If it's a little smaller than the PM9 and a little bigger than the LCP, it's a Rohrbaugh. They cost a thousand dollars and there's a lot of tender loving care necessary to make them even as dependable as they are. A super mass produced Ruger with those kinds of tolerances required to get that size would have recalls that make these current ones look small. And the gun would cost quite a bit more than the $340 for the LCP.

If I wanted something just a little less concealable than the LCP, I have many to choose from including my snubbie scandium Smith and Wesson and I get .357 magnum capability with it. It's exactly the kind of delema that I went through with this "just that much smaller" factor that I've already gone through. A little larger than LCP Ruger 9mm to look over would be de ja vue all over again. IMO

As long as I'm on a roll - a very small 9mm (under PM9 size) would not likely be +p capable. Even if it was, we'd likely forgo the +p ammo in a gun that size. If we did that, why on earth wouldn't we just load the LCP up with the super hot Buffalo Bore stuff and be at the 9mm/38spl power range in EXACTLY the same size as the LCP (because it IS the LCP).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
Snubbie K said:
I totally agree with Joko on this one. It's gonna be bigger than the LCP. And, if it's bigger, it can join the ranks of other compact 9mm like the Keltec and the Kahr. Nothing new there at all.

Of course, they would get a lot of publicity if they cloned and upgraded another of Kel-tec's products on top of the LCP. (Not ripping them for the LCP - just saying!)

If it's a little smaller than the PM9 and a little bigger than the LCP, it's a Rohrbaugh. They cost a thousand dollars and there's a lot of tender loving care necessary to make them even as dependable as they are. A super mass produced Ruger with those kinds of tolerances required to get that size would have recalls that make these current ones look small. And the gun would cost quite a bit more than the $340 for the LCP.

If I wanted something just a little less concealable than the LCP, I have many to choose from including my snubbie scandium Smith and Wesson and I get .357 magnum capability with it. It's exactly the kind of delema that I went through with this "just that much smaller" factor that I've already gone through. A little larger than LCP Ruger 9mm to look over would be de ja vue all over again. IMO

As long as I'm on a roll - a very small 9mm (under PM9 size) would not likely be +p capable. Even if it was, we'd likely forgo the +p ammo in a gun that size. If we did that, why on earth wouldn't we just load the LCP up with the super hot Buffalo Bore stuff and be at the 9mm/38spl power range in EXACTLY the same size as the LCP (because it IS the LCP).
Ruger can make a sub compact liteweight 9mm around 18 ounces in a single stack that can ride in one's pocket with ease. I think we will see it introduced at the shot show in 09 with the SR9 trigger system in the size of the kahr pm9 or maybe alittle bigger like the pf9. Much smaller would be impractical, limpwristing would be a real issue no doubt. Gotta have something to hold on to. If Ruger builds it, it will shoot +p. It won't be a one of the shoot seldom carry often guns that can't take the rounds down range. Just not rugers style. They know now the tremendous sales of the lcp and the sub 9 would just be that next choice for a shooter that wants more than a 380...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
All that I know is if Ruger came out with a single stack 9mm similar in size to the Kel Tec PF-9, I'd be in line to get one. I agree, a 9mm in the size of an LCP would be rediculous, it would be un-shootable. I think they may use the name LCP9 though, I think it would be good marketing. Anyway, and LCP9 IWB, and a LCP in the pocket would be a great combo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
jocko said:
certainly the sig 250 is no pocket gun. 40 cal pocket rocket better be built like a tank or it won't hold up. How many 40 cal pocket guns can u name that are trustworthy??.
None. That's why I don't own one. I've been looking at a lot of them and it seems if a manufacturer is going to have problems anywhere in its line, it's going to be the .40.

A single stack 9 ultra lite compact would not comflict with the DOUBLE stack SR9, two different guns.
True, but as you have already said there is not going to be a 9 come out that is just a slightly larger LCP. I doubt that another single stack 9 is going to "rock the show" - Kahr has "been there, done that" at least 3X already. Even a Ruger PF9-too is more likely to get a big ho-hum than make any real splash. Kel-tec didn't have that much thunder to steal in the first place and Ruger has already stolen from KT's flagship gun most of what there was to steal.

"Built like a tank" is a phrase I've heard applied to Ruger's revolvers many times. If they can put that kind of heft in and get the same kind of reputation for a new series of autos, that might make some news - but still not enough to live up to the hype.

I'm still betting on a new caliber aimed at the CC market - a .40 short (which is already a 10mm short) or a 9.5mm on a 9mm frame would be new enough to create buzz and not be trying to elbow in to a market that is already crowded.
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top