Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Velocity Weight Distance to the target makes a Big Difference For Your Self-Defense Handgun. It's all about shot placement any shot from Large or Small caliber at 21 ' 99% of the time a shot fired into the Torso, Head or Neck will produce a lethal wound a shot from a .22 or a shot from a 10 mm to the Head Neck Torso 99% of the time will produce the same results. DRT Dead Right There.

·
Registered
273 Posts

Hunting

The 9mm and 10mm can both be used for smaller varmints with great success. However, when we start moving into feral hogs, deer, and even black bears, the 10mm is clearly the superior choice.

Its heavier bullets will be more effective at punching through thick hide and bone, making for a more humane kill. Furthermore, the flatter trajectory of the 10mm will make it the better choice for longer hunting shots.

If you’re going out into the field hunting for 4-legged critters, then the 10mm is the better choice.

Predators such as bears and feral hogs are incredibly tough, they have thick hides, bones and sinew that support their large frames. This means that you need a bullet with a lot of power to punch through the skull to hit the central nervous system or crack the ribs to get to the vitals such as the heart and lungs.

Continue reading 10mm vs 9mm: Does 1mm Make a Difference For Your Self-Defense Handgun? at Ammo.com for ballistic data.
It's not about the caliber size it's about Velocity, Bullet Weight, and distance to the target and shot placement. I am a Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator and I professionally eradicate Feral Hogs & Coyotes I often use 9mm &.22 LR to kill Feral Hogs & Coyote. I also have taken part in culling Nuisance Deer destroying crops with the .22 LR & 9MM carbine . This is usually done by positioning a ladder stand 50 to 75 Yards from a feeder Then taking a seat in the ladder stand with my Night Vision Equipped Ruger 10/22 Rifle I use the CCI Velocitor 40 grain Copperplated Hollow Point at 1435 FPS to take out Hogs Deer, Coyotes out to 100 Yards with great success. Poachers have used the .22 rifle to illegally take deer for over 100 years because of its low report low muzzle flash low recoil and extreme accuracy deep penetration.I also use a Ruger PC 9 Carbine with Night Vision Equipped carbine rifle the 9mm penetrates deep and hits hard, I also use it for culling Deer Feral Hogs, and Coyotes with Flatpoint ball ammo with great sucess These Kills are Clean Humane kills with a single shot delivered to the head.

Boar Peccary Fawn Working animal Snout

This Hog was Shot with a Ruger 10 / 22 .22LR CCI Velocitor 40 grain Copper Plated Hollow Point
Plant Vehicle Mammal Fish Seafood

These two pigs were shot at 50 yards from a feeder with a Ruger 10/22 .22LR CCI .22LR 40 Grain Copper Plated Hollow Points
Carnivore Whiskers Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout

This coyote was hit at 75 yards with a .22 LR CCI Velocitor 40 grain Copper Plated Hollow Point
Eye Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Terrestrial animal

Shot at 100 Yards with a 65 grain 9mm ARX bullet fired from a Ruger PC 9 Carbine went thru both shoulders hitting bone in both shoulders.
Wood Road surface Snout Working animal Metal

Blue Vertebrate Green Mammal Natural material

I think this photographic evidence proves this statement to be DEAD WRONG ! "you need a bullet with a lot of power to punch through the skull to hit the central nervous system or crack the ribs to get to the vitals such as the heart and lungs." Not true !

Reactions: Whiskeyshooter

·
Registered
273 Posts
In fact, I killed a 60 pound Feral Hog at 25 Yards with a .22 Caliber Benjamin Prowler Pellet Rifle with a 14.3-grain pellet at about 875 -975 FPS with a single shot to the head and it penetrated the Hogs Skull . Those who hunt Hogs for a living know it doesn't take much to penetrate a Hogs Skull. Proof you don't need a bullet with a lot of power to punch through the skull to hit the central nervous system! It's all about Shot Placement, not caliber OR size OF THE BULLET! It's about the Velocity, Weight of the projectile distance to the target, and penetration. This Kill was a clean Humane Kill. Pigman Brian Quacka killed a feral Hog with a .177 Caliber Pellet Rifle. Look it up on YouTube. it's about an 8-grain pellet at about 1,100 fps.
Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Grass Terrestrial animal

1 - 3 of 3 Posts